Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lentils with Onions and Bacon


I had big plans for my lentils when I first bought them a few months ago. Unfortunately, they've been abandoned in a closet for the past four months, rendered inconsequential and worthless. Much like my liberal arts degrees.

For the past few weeks, I've been attempting to battle my feelings of inadequacy by applying, applying, applying. Ideally, I would like to work in social work or counseling, but in lieu of this happening, I have been applying to pretty much anything for which I am qualified. AKA: not much.  Despite my impressive childcare resume, I haven't even had luck with nannying. I think all the parents I have interviewed with can recognize the resignation in my voice and my insincerity as I tell them just how excited I would be to spend 40 hours a week with their 2-year-old.

Lentils. You are not worthless. You are great. You are great, and worthwhile, and someone should appreciate you. Right now, I am going to be that someone. I will appreciate you. With BACON.

(This might be where the life metaphor breaks down a bit.)

Lentils with Onions and Bacon
About 3 servings

1 cup dry lentils
3 cups water or your choice of stock (I used water + a beef bouillon cube)
1 bay leaf (optional)
3 pieces bacon
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse your lentils. Add lentils, bay leaf and water/stock to pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 10-30 minutes depending on your kind of lentil (if you're not sure, try them after 10 minutes, then again at 15, etc.). Remove bay leaf and drain, reserving cooking liquid.

Meanwhile... fry up 3 pieces of bacon in a pan, then transfer to plate to cool. Cook onion and garlic in bacon fat until soft. Chop bacon into small pieces, then mix bacon, onion and garlic with lentils. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. If mixture is too dry, add some of the reserved cooking liquid.

Serve with rice, on bread, or right out of the pot.  Not that I know anything about that. Let's just say that this is sooo good. (And never fear, non-pork eating readers: I'll have some lentil recipes up soon that don't use meat.)

1 comment:

  1. LOL, i had big plans for my lentils too when i bought them a few months ago (probably the same day as you, knowing us) anyway, i am glad to hear that they have possibilities and will be taking them down off the shelf soon! Max will be glad to hear that i will be making him something with bacon in it..

    ReplyDelete