Friday, December 10, 2010

Hazelnut Dark Chocolate Bark


It's that time of the week again!

As an aside, I would recommend that if you are, perhaps, a person of less than existent willpower, that you should, perhaps, not purchase all your baking needs for the holidays in a single trip. And if you do make that mistake, don't leave a grocery bag full of chocolate, marshmallows and toffee bits next to your computer chair.

Because if you let that bag sit there for a week, you might end up gaining three pounds.

And if you do that...


... it is in your best interest to do this. Don't let me eat any more chocolate, people.

Hazelnut Dark Chocolate Bark with Sea Salt and Cinnamon
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli, 60%)
1/2 c. chopped hazelnuts
Sea salt and cinnamon, for sprinkling

Toast hazelnuts in a skillet over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, shaking skillet constantly, until aromatic and golden brown. Set aside. Mix semisweet and dark chocolate chips together and melt them. (I put them in a microwavable bowl for 2 minutes at 30% power, stirred and did 1 minute more. You can melt them on the stove if you prefer, but be careful not to burn them!) Pour melted chocolate onto a large sheet of wax paper (or parchment paper), then spread into a (relatively) thin layer with a spatula. Sprinkle hazelnuts on top and press into chocolate slightly. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and cinnamon, then place sheet in freezer for 15 minutes, or until hardened. Break or cut into pieces and enjoy!

This is a recipe that's easily adapted for whatever kind of chocolate and whatever kind of mix-ins you desire. I also made a yummy white chocolate and peanut butter version of chocolate bark which I'll post soon!

(If you're a follower, you'll see that I still have not posted my sweet potato fries recipe. It's coming; I promise. Good things come to those who wait.)

3 comments:

  1. Like I said on the foodbuzz, that look awesome. I love the cookbook photo:)) I am still doing the same think, writing, cutting, gluing..it is so much fun that many people forgot to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hazelnuts. And in a chocolate bark? Oh yes, indeed! I can feel your pain, though, having the bag of choc chips sitting by your computer. That would be my downfall too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this could cause an EVIL addiction ;) YUM!

    ReplyDelete